Friday, October 06, 2006

Day 12 - Craving

As of 2 1/2 hours ago....I have officially gone 12 days without a cigarette....or any type of nicotine for that matter!! My body feels great!!! I have so much more energy!! I think my skin looks better and I don't smell like an ash tray.

I missed making entries the past couple of days cuz I put in real long hours at work. Ugh. The good news is.....I've had a really stressful job week and never once broke down for a ciggy!!! On top of that....it's a fairly new job...and I'm supervising a team. With the odds against me....it would seem that a smoke would be inevitible. Nope.

Days 10 & 11 I really didn't have any cravings. I was excited to think that it could actually be that easy. Tonight though....my first cravings hit me when I got in the car after work. I drove by the gas station where I used to buy smokes....and I thought about them again.

The major difference between today and the past couple of days is the amount of water I've consumed. Today was the very first day I haven't had a ton of water. So....my hypothesis is.....that water really does help with cravings...and therefore aide in assisting those who want to quit.

When I look back at my previous attempts to quit smoking......I see a trend. I find that when I first quit...I'm all gung-ho about it.....and it's during that time that I tend to do fairly well as a non-smoker. But....as time goes on....I somehow seem to forget why I quit in the first place....and all negative memories seem to evaporate...while only the positive thoughts associate with smoking remain. I would equate it to dating someone.....thinking the relationship totally sucks.....and therefore breaking up with them. And a month later.....wanting to get back together with the person you just brokeup with because even though 99% of the relationship may have been bad....you only dwell on the 1% that was good. By re-igniting the flame (both literally and figuratively) you aren't negating the negative aspects that were there the whole time....and that remain......and you're certainly not increasing the % in the good column.

Well...that's what it's like. Perspective.

So....since I'm in a craving mood.....I'm going to search the internet for horrible smoker stories that can do nothing less that scare the bejesus right outta me. That'll slap me right back into reality. AND....I'm gonna drink water. AND.....even though I'd love to go have a few drinks on this FRIDAY night....I'm going to sadly avoid such socializing. :( Sucks. But.....it's necessary.

Blah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home